TIPS FOR WINTERIZING YOUR HOME
As autumn is truly upon us in Kent, Washington, it is time to relish in the season of rustic colors, falling leaves, and, of course, all things pumpkin! Along with the leaves, autumn brings the start of the cooler weather. With subzero temperatures and potential storms ahead, it is time to prepare your home so that no damage is done during the winter.
Utilize this home maintenance checklist to steady your home for the cold snap!
- Clean out the gutters that have been building up leaves and debris over the past couple of months.
- Hire a chimney sweep to inspect and clean your chimney before using it!
- Collect firewood! Gather enough to see you through the autumn and winter.
- Insulate any pipes that are exposed to prevent freezing.
- Drain exterior faucets to prevent water freezing in the pipes and bursting.
- Inspect the house for any draughts. Caulk doors and windows if necessary.
- Test and change batteries in your smoke and carbon dioxide detectors.
- Change the direction of ceiling fans to direct the warm air back down.
- Inspect the roof for any missing shingles, damage, or leaks.
- Call in the professionals to inspect your furnace.
- Review your home
Add these tasks to the top of your Autumn To-Do list as the weather is cooling off so that you are not stuck in a snow storm cleaning out the rain gutters!
Home insurance is designed to protect your home from facing financial strain in the event of an accident, lawsuit, or disaster!